Sunday, June 6, 2010

I WILL...

I have been working hard over the past year to make some changes in my life and also for my family.  Some I have succeeded at, and others not so much.  But I think the most important thing is to always be working to better ourselves and do a little more each day to become who we ultimately want to become.

Our purpose here on earth is to become like Christ

In 1973, our dear prophet Ezra Taft Benson said, "The only measure of true greatness is how close a man can become like Jesus. That man is greatest who is most like Christ, and those who love him most will be most like him.


How, then, does a man imitate God, follow his steps, and walk as he walked, which we are commanded to do? We must study the life of Christ, learn his commandments, and do them. God has promised that to follow this course will lead a man to an abundant life and a fullness of joy and the peace and rest which those who are heavy-burdened long for. To learn of Christ necessitates the study of the scriptures and the testimonies of those who know him. We come to know him through prayer and the inspiration and revelation that God has promised to those who keep his commandments."


I have been studying the scriptures lately in search of ways to change and serve my Savior better.  We recieved the June issue of the Ensign the other day (read HERE), and it was filled with articles just for me!!  Filled with little suggestions on what we can do today to put God at the head of our lives.

I wanted to make a list of "goals"....but then I was thinking that goals give you the option to fail.  So instead of goals, I'm calling them a list of "commitments".  Things I WILL do.  Some are petty and small.  Some are deep & meaningful.  Some I can include my husband and children in.  Some are just for me.  Some I am already doing and want to continue.  I will "return & report" how things are going in a month or two.

I WILL:
  • Limit my internet use.  Especially Facebook.
  • Spend 15 minutes (or more) each day working on duties of my calling in Relief Society.
  • Make bread once a week.
  • Eat fresh oatmeal for breakfast every morning.
  • Green smoothie every day for mid-morning snack.
  • Eat only whole grains, fruits & vegetables for lunch.
  • Eat meat for dinner only once a week.
  • Learn new recipes using beans, tofu, vegetables & lentils.
  • Walk atleast a mile every day (aka pulling Roo in the wagon atleast 6 times around the court!!)
  • Re-learn 5 Korean words every day (I am surrounded by wonderful Korean families here, and I need to take advantage!  I brushed up on the days of the week yesterday with my sweet friend YeJean....so sad that I had forgotten most of them!  I told her to speak only Korean to me from now on!)  I have thought about starting to learn Spanish, but my heart is with Korean always!
  • Eat nothing after 8 pm except for fresh fruit.  (I have a HUGE nighttime binging problem...usually consisting of freshly baked cookies or brownies or a huge bowl of popcorn....really needs to STOP!)
  • Turn off television and read more.
  • Make a good scripture/Gospel study plan (see above quote...more on this later).
  • Pray for opportunities to serve others.
  • Replace negative thoughts with actions of love and gratitude and productivity.
  • Retire to bed no later than 10 pm.
So....give me your advice.  Your ideas.  Your recipes.  Your own I Wills.  Your experiences.  Your testimonies.

***
Roo and her oatmeal


PS...Notice how I've made no I Will's concerning my home or cleaning?  It's because I give up!  My house is messy and I have come to accept that.  Sigh...

5 comments:

Jenny said...

You are seriously so amazing. Jeff and I often have talks about how great you guys are...how we want to be like you with all these aspects of your life that you are so wonderful in. We will miss you!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Great post. I agree that goals come with the option of failure. I love your I WILL list. I need to come up with my own.

Becca Jane said...

DO Tristan! And then post so I can read and be inspired and add to mine!

Jenny, we LOVE you guys too! I always feel relieved when you sit near us at church because I know that if my children completey melt down, I have some realiable close by to help us, ha! Don't go... Come over for dinner sometime. I'll call you.

Anonymous said...

I say do what you love, and you will be happy. great list :)

starnes family said...

Your house is messy because you have a wonderful family you're taking care of. That's OK. You're covering the big stuff with this post and in your daily actions, which I know are nothing less than stellar.

Have you posted your bread recipe? I'd love it if you haven't.

ps - another thing we have in common.....night time eating......I feel so calm and relaxed after the children are in bed and I rationalize that I "deserve" that plate of nachos. I'm working on it!