Several months ago, I read the book Food Matters, by Mark Bittman. I was so moved by it, obviously. Since then I have upped the produce in our home and cut back to eating meat only once or twice a week. Baking my own bread, pizza crust & tortillas has also kept more preservatives out of our kitchen.
Tonight, Nate & I watched the documentary called "Food, Inc". We came across it on Netflix, and I think everyone in America needs to watch it. It went hand in hand with the principles taught in Food Matters.
Once again, I am moved to make even more changes.
*We will cut back our meat consumption even more....once or twice a month. It will also only be organic, grass-fed meat. The conditions in which chickens, pigs & cattle are farmed are sickening. I could barely watch. Animals were intended for our use, but the average American consumes 200 pounds of meat per year. And unfortunately, these animals are being mass-produced in disgusting factories to meet this insane demand. The Lord intended for us to eat meat "sparingly". I wonder how different our bodies would feel and look and function if we ate 200 pounds of fresh produce a year?? Keep checking the dinner blog as I'm always trying out new vegetarian recipes.
*Purchase all produce at a local Farmer's Market during the summer months. (Live in Utah? Click here.)
These are small steps. But if we ALL make one or two changes in the way we feed our families, it will make a difference.

8 comments:
Wasn't that movie sickening. Jeff and I have watched it a few times. I'm glad that the food standards are a little better in Canada but I'm sure they still aren't prefect. I'm all for the fresh produce.....just wish it could be cheaper......I think food in the states is in general cheaper....
You are inspiring me with your food changes, but unfortunately old habits die hard...What do you feed your kids for a snack that is quick to grab? My son won't touch veggies with a ten foot pole...also, have you ever heard of bountiful baskets? bountifulbaskets.org/ I think you would benefit greatly from it. It is fresh Utah produce for a great price!
I have looked into Bountiful Baskets, Erin, but they don't have anything in Utah right now, atleast that's what the website recently said. Luckily the West Jordan Farmers Market starts this week, and the U of U one starts in August.
My kids snack on Craisins, pretzels, yogurt, Dole fruit cups (peaches & pears in those little cups, no sugar added....they inhale these), bananas, apples, grapes, Roo LOVES peas and oatmeal (Cam will eat them, but not as eagerly!), they both love beans...I've posted several recipes using black or red beans on my dinner blog. Cam loves dried apricots, carrot sticks and applesauce. Smoothies are also a HUGE hit with kids, and you can pack them with veggies like spinach and carrots.
Both kids snack on homemade bread a lot....Roo likes it plain, Cam likes honey on it. I like it because it fills them up. A slice of bread and some peaches will be an entire lunch for Roo. Cam also likes tuna or turkey sandwhiches.
I've just learned that kids WILL eat healthy food...if that's their only option. It doesn't take long for their little mouths and bodies to get used to it and start wanting the healthier options. And you'd be surprised at what they like. Keep serving them a big variety of produce cooked in different ways....some nights Cam won't touch his dinner, and other nights, he'll stuff his face with sauteed mushrooms and onions. Keep offering vegetables every day, your children will take a bite or two eventually and that's better than nothing!
Don't get me wrong, I make brownies and cookies atleast once a week....and we rely on the occasional bag of Goldfish crackers or a donut to keep the kids happy while running errands. We aren't perfect, but we're definitely trying to live a healthy lifestyle!
Awesome Becky! My mom was super healthy as you might remember (maybe a bit too much), but now I instinctively eat well because it's what I grew up doing. There might be some CSA's around there as well, great if you're open to experimenting with different vegetables/fruits. Eggs are my big thing, since I don't really eat much meat. 'Cage-free' doesn't mean much of anything, so I try to buy them at the farmer's markets.
Hi Laurel, I didn't know you read my blog! Laurel is my best friend from 2nd grade, we used to pretend we were the Babysitter's Club (remmeber those books?).
Kelsey, if you're interested, Taylor Made (a farm that raises grass-fed beef here in Utah) will be selling at the Downtown Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. I'm going to stock our freezer, it's expensive, but if we're only eating it a few times a month, it's SO worth it. I refuse to put one more dollar into these multi-billion dollar companies that mass-produce and use hormones. Not for me.
Becca - keep it up with the veggie recipes - I stalk your food blog! Growing up both Jer and I ate terribly, but we are both really committed to raising our children differently. We don't really like meat all that much but we only have a handful of veggie meals we cook. I am happy to say that we are down to meat only about 3 times a week now (use to be everyday!). I completely agree with your comment about eating meat sparingly and I get so frustrated when people try to tell me that eating meat twice a day is sparingly!
Laurel, a little research has gone a long way...I have just come across TONS of locals selling eggs here for just $2.50/dozen. Free-range chickens, no antibiotics....definitely going to start picking up a dozen each Friday.
Thanks Kasie! Lots more recipes coming...but I'm just getting most of them online, so just do some searching on vegetarian recipes.
Becky- I am so glad to see you doing this! You are so incredible and inspiring. I've seen the video and read some great books too! Have you read 'animal, vegetable, miracle' by Barbara Kingsolver? It's one of my favorites! I think the trouble I am running into is getting my husband to be 100% on board with this- or maybe that is just an excuse I i am not ready to give up the fruit snacks! Any advice? Do you do a meal plan for every week? I am so excited about doing this- and love getting local beef and eggs. You just feel so much better knowing where everything comes from. We are what we eat!
Post a Comment