So anyway, I have been making Nate feel bad lately because I'm whining so much about how mad I am that we're "stuck in Utah" and how much I want to get out of here and how we'll never afford a house here and how the bad drivers are going to kill us all....etc etc, the list is LONG!! So I'm going to change my attitude!! The last thing I want to do is make my husband feel like he's not making me happy because that man makes me SO happy every day! So I decided to make a list of things I LOVE about Utah!! Here we go! (These are in no particular order.)
#1. The MOUNTAINS!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my mountains!! I have loved them since the day we moved here in 1997, and I still can't get over how majestic and gorgeous they are! They are just stunning! (They did look like molehills to me when I got back from Nepal, but it wore off quickly and they became massive again!!). Sometimes I just stare at the mountains here, I love them so much. I need to take my kids hiking!
#2. GLENWOOD!!
This summer when we thought we were moving, I got really sad thinking about not being able to take my kids to Glenwood all the time. Cameron loves it there SO much, and he talks nonstop about how excited he is to turn 5 so he can ride the yellow 4-wheeler all by himself. I am happy to think that my children will get to make zillions more childhood memories in Glenwood now!!
#3. GRANDMAS & GRANDPAS
This is sort of an obvious one! We love being near our parents and having our children grow up near their grandparents! Family is so important to us, and we want our children to be close to them! Nate's mom is going to do a "Camp Grandma" every summer for her grandkids, and I'm excited that Cam & Roo will get to enjoy that. Going fishing with my dad is Cam's favorite too. We are so grateful for all they do for us!
#4. TEMPLES
I love living so close to so many temples. It is a blessing. I know I take it for granted that I don't have to drive hours and hours to attend. I went to the Provo Temple for the first time in January 2002. Nate asked me to marry him on the grounds of the Jordan River Temple in October 2004. I married that boy in the Mount Timpanogos Temple in February 2005.
#5. COSTA VIDA/CAFE RIO
Yum! I'm sure other states will have their signature restaurants (like Loveless Cafe!), but I'd really miss the Sweet Pork salads at Costa Vida!! Hey Nater, can we go this week?
#6. FRIENDS!
Another obvious one. We love our friends!! So excited I will get to keep hanging out with Becky, Merilee, Michelle, Kristi.....all of you!!!! And if we don't live in TN, I can probably get up to Oregon way more often too....YAY!!
#7. SOUTHERN UTAH
I love how versatile Utah is. Up here we have gorgeous mountains and green canyons. And a few hours south we have red rocks and canyons! I don't love to travel with small children, but as soon as the kids are a little older, I want to spend lots of time in Southern Utah!
#8. MODESTY
I am grateful to live in an area where it's easier to find modest clothing. DownEast Basics, Shade Clothing, etc make it possible to dress modestly without losing style. If we're still in Utah when Roo starts attending school dances (please no!!), then I will be grateful for all of the stores here that sell formal gowns with sleeves!!
Okay, I'm slowing down....um....yeah I can't think of anything else right now!
What do you like about Utah?? Help me add to my list!!
***
One more thing: This is Reason #512 why I love John!!
"If you're shocked that Britney was lip-syncing at her concert and want your money back, life may continue to be hard for you."
– John Mayer
Bahaha, best quote ever!!



13 comments:
Utah is a little bubble. While it's the one thing I hate sometimes, it always feels good to know that your kids are safer, somewhat protected, and not exposed to some of the things they would be in other places. Having a young child, I am grateful for this. Also Utah has 4 beautiful seasons, and one thing that's really awesome for you since your active LDS, is temple square, and all the church history literally so close to you. What an awesome thing to be able to take your kids there whenever you want!!!
BYU athletics. Remember when we kept saying we were going to buy season tickets and never did? Los Hermanos, Training Table. Skiing.
Oh John Mayer, tell it like it is!
That picture of the Timp Temple is beautiful!
Do we follow eachother? Im following you now!
It's funny how people feel about where they live. I love Nova Scotia and yet I hear people saying that they can't wait to get out of here. I loved my short visit to Utah when I joined the church but it drove me crazy at the same time. I enjoyed Utah for all the reasons you stated.
Good list, DeAnn!! (minus the skiing...i will insert snowmobiling!) I just hate that we can't watch any BYU sports on our local stations! And we lost our access to The Mountain this summer. I miss football....
Well, they are terrible this year so maybe next year when access is easier, they will be better. And I do miss snowmobiling and 4 wheeling. Peter is getting married in June so we will be coming for sure and I'll probably stay a month or so.
I can't imagine leaving Utah for many of the reasons you've listed. I've never lived anywhere else, and quite frankly, I'd be a basket case to leave my Utah "home" and go somewhere else. So I admire people like you who thinks it'd be an adventure to go somewhere else. :)
You can ask my mom this and she will agree with me, ever since I was little, I wanted to get out of Utah and move to a BIG CITY... Well Ive done that and I hate it. lol. I miss everything about Utah. The most I miss is the FALL colors in Utah. Its so beautiful. I do love living by the beach.... but I would trade it in a second if I could go back to Utah right now! lol
YES....I know you are still a little sad, but that was a pretty good list! At least we can hang out and see each other while you are still close. :) Way to be positive!!!!!
I love Utah, too!!! Great reasons! Mt. Timp is one of my favorite temples- that is a really awesome pic of it!
Well, I DIDN'T grow up in Utah, so I definitely know I'd be just fine living outside of it! Especially now that we've visited TN, we can 100% picture ourselves living out there. I LOVED growing up outside of Utah and have always wanted to raise my family outside of Utah. I would love to leave it for awhile...then like Mal, I'll appreciate it again. I've been here for 13 years now and am ready for a CHANGE!!!!
Arney, I just mailed my application for BYU-I. Boo!!!
I love autumn in Utah. Its beautiful right now and the weather is perfect. Love you!
Great post Becca! Oh, how I miss Utah. I really hope that we can make it back there someday!
Post a Comment