Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Coincidence?

Maybe this is a coincidence....maybe it's not.

On the morning of November 8, I felt the strong impression to begin the Book of Mormon reading challenge.  I thought about waiting until the next day....to see if anyone wanted to join.  But 'something' told me, No, start today.

So I had to just shake my head and smile yesterday when I saw that the December 7 reading included Alma 33:23.  My scriptures are full of notes from my mission...specifically the favorite verses of elders/sisters and members and investigators.

In my scriptures, Alma 33:23 is circled and marked.  Imagine how my heart lept when next to that verse, I saw the name of my amazing convert, Gwan Soo Yeon, we called her Jessie.  She was 17 years old when we met her.  When we were teaching her, we asked her to read a few verses in the Book of Mormon each week before we'd meet again.  One time, she came to her appointment and told us she had been so touched by the verses she read, that she had kept reading and ended up reading one third of the entire book in one night.  She told us that this verse in Alma was her favorite.  Our sweet Jessie was baptized on December 7, 2002.


I plan to do this November 8 - December 31 read every year from now on.  I'm grateful that I will have this sweet reminder each year of one of my most special Korea memories. What a beautiful tender mercy from my Heavenly Father.

4 comments:

Ashley Ziegler said...

How amazing!! I'm glad you're doing it every year because I was thinking of doing it every year too!! I don't want Alma to end!! I've been learning so much from his book!!!

starnes family said...

That is so cool. Awesome how it all lined up. Coincidence? I don't think so!

I'm so happy, too, that you're sharing this with so many. You are an inspiration!

Kamie said...

That is amazing! How wonderful that must have been when you got to that verse and realized!

Mellissa said...

I love that you started this. I really really love it. Such a perfect gift for ourselves for the holidays- to remind us of WHY the holidays are important. Your challenge has brought so much peace into our home- thank you for following your promptings and starting this! YOU ARE WONDERFUL!