BUT...One rule that my little man always keeps and has never struggled with is wearing his bike helmet. This is his 3rd summer on a bike now, so wearing a helmet is just second nature to him. We have always been strict about him wearing a helmet even if he's just riding his bike for a few feet. Or even if he hops on a bike that still has training wheels (this took awhile to convince him...he thinks bikes with training wheels don't crash). Out of all of the rules we try to teach our children, I'm so grateful that wearing a helmet isn't one that we have had to re-enforce. Because we WOULD re-enforce it, obviously. Just like wearing a seat belt. It's just a no-wiggle-room rule!!
On Friday, Cameron was riding around our courtyard like he has done every day for 3 years. I honestly think he could ride around that sidewalk with his eyes closed, he's done it so many times. But on Friday, he was riding around the court, just like he'd already done for 2 hours that morning, and for some reason, he ended up slamming headfirst into some metal pole handrails along the sidewalk on the hill. Nobody saw it actually happen, just heard the awful sound! It was really scary, and my heart was racing as I waddled across the lawn to see if he was okay! Luckily one of the moms outside is a nurse at Primary Childrens', and she got to him first and was able to reassure him (and me!). We think he got a mild concussion, but nothing serious.
Thank heavens he is fine. All thanks to his helmet. I can't believe how grateful I am that he put his helmet on before hopping on his bike. My friend who is a nurse said later that she is sure Cameron would have had some serious injuries, maybe even fatal, if he hadn't of been wearing his helmet. I had been having the same thoughts, but after hearing someone else say it, I sort of freaked out. I was so unsettled all evening and couldn't stop picturing how different my day would be going if we were up at the Primary's ER with severe head trauma. I was so shaken up, and that evening after he was asleep, I just went and kissed Cam's beautiful face over and over, just being so grateful that he was in his own bed at home, still the same crazy Cameron. Life can change so quickly. This was enough of a scare for me to really count my blessings and remember what matters most.
Well, Cameron was SO excited when he learned he got to pick out a NEW helmet last night!! Anyone surprised that he picked out Spiderman?? :)
We decided to get Roo a helmet too. She loves to ride the 3-wheeled scooters around. She picked Dora.
Parents (and anyone who rides a bike): Please always always always have your kids wear a helmet. Don't think you are the exception. Cameron is very good on a bike. He is very comfortable on a bike, and he knows our courtyard like the back of his hand. But he still crashed. Just like you'd never drive your kids around without a seatbelt, please spend the few $$ and never let your kids ride without a helmet. Teach them that it's not a choice. If I only made Cam wear a helmet some of the time, he may have decided not to bother putting his on right then....
We love our Cameron so much! I'm so glad he's still our crazy kiddo because if anything ever happened to him, I don't know what I would do. Plus, Roo and Baby need their big brother. These smoochie woochie faces belong together:
Update: Tonight, Miss Roo got brave and tried to coast down that dreaded hill on her scooter and totally biffed it at the bottom....we watched her forehead hit the pavement!! Thank heavens once again for a helmet on my baby girl!! She was back on that scooter 2 minutes later!!
6 comments:
Well yeah! If they learn they only need to wear the helmet sometimes, then they'll wear a seat belt just sometimes. Then they'll watch nasty movies just SOMETIMES, and wear immodest clothes SOMETIMES. Good lesson- safety first.
CUTE PICTURES!!!
Oh my! How scary!!!! I am so sorry that happened, and am so grateful that he is a smart kid and had a good rule to follow. It's amazing how something like that can really make you stop and think about how wonderful life is, even when it doesn't seem like it. Love ya!
Oh my goodness!! How scary! So glad both of your children are okay!! This will be such an amazing story for them to read in the future, and will be able to use it as an example for their own kids!
So glad they are ok!!!! Wearing a helmet is a big one for us too. Did you know you can get helmets at Robert J. DeBry's office in SLC for $5?! We got a Transformers one for Miles and it came with a bell too! So remember that in the future when they get bigger! :)
And I have to tell you, I love love love that picture of the 2 kids together wearing their helmets. So so cute!! Your kids are so gorgeous!!!
Glad he is okay!
It is amazing what those scary moments in life do for us. We truly realize what is MOST important!!
We have been witness to how important a helmet is with Miss Jessica. I don't card how uncool I may look in one I will always wear mine. I personally think adults who don't wear them are stupid. If you put it on your child to protect them don't you think that you deserve that same protection....we aren't invincible....
Post a Comment