Friday, May 11, 2012

Oregon Getaway

We have had this trip planned for almost a year, so I can't believe it's already here...and now over!  :(  We had a great time, and the kids did SO well in the car.  We didn't have to stop nearly as often as we thought, so we made it to all of our destinations early, which was great. 

On Friday, we left around noon and drove up to Boise.  We stayed with my Aunt Susan and Uncle Bob.  My cousins, Craig and Maryanne came over with their kids.  I haven't seen Maryanne in over 10 years!  It was so nice to catch up with all of them.  Roo LOVED Bob, which was so hilarious.  She was on his lap and kept calling him Grandpa.  It's funny because as kids, we were all sort of scared of Bob.  It has been SO fun for me to really get to know Bob and Susan (and my cousins!) now.  Susan made us some yummy soup for dinner, and the BEST German pancakes for breakfast.





On Saturday morning, we headed west.  We took a slight detour over to Nyssa, Oregon to visit my friend, Jordan.  She and I were inseperable during my senior year.  She and Laycee were my saving graces during those rough 2 years at Spanish Fork High! We haven't seen each other in a few years, so it was fun to catch up!  She has a boy Cam's age and a girl Roo's age.  And Danny and Nate had a good visit.  She is due with her baby girl any day now.  Our families really hit it off, and we'd LOVE to go spend a few days with them next time. 



On Saturday night, we rolled into Dayton at my cousin, Lindsay's house.  They had burgers/hot dogs waiting for us.  Nate and Mike played some video games, and I got to eat Mike's infamous chocolate cake.  The next morning, we went to church in my old McMinnville ward.  I got to see the McClure's and Hanson's and Green's and Ruden's and Kiser's.  Roo went and sat with Janet, which made me smile, because I'm pretty sure that I used to go sit with her when I was young!  It was great to see old friends and meet their kids and have them meet mine.  Whenever I'm in Mac, I still feel like I'm about 15 years old, it's a weird feeling.  I can't believe how much time has gone by.








After church, we went back to Lindsay's.  We went on a little walk, ate dinner, I snuck in a nap, and we finished off that cake!  Lindsay and I talked running a lot.  I was hoping to go for a run with her, but it never worked out.  That night, we headed over to Brenda and Bryce's in Newberg.  They let us have their whole basement, so we got to spread out a little.  Brenda and I went on a short run the next morning.  She and Lindsay ran a marathon last year, so they are huge inspirations to me.  Then Brenda made me a big bowl of oatmeal, and I felt like I was hanging out with my dad again!

We headed back to Mac for the day.  We met up with Lesli, Bethany and Kristen at a nice park.  The kids got to play, and we got to catch up a little.  Being with these friends is hard for me though, because all it does is remind me that I don't get to see them very often!  :(  I miss them all so much.  After the park, Lesli and her 2 younger boys came with us, and we walked around the Spruce Goose museum.  Jake and Cam hit it off and had a blast.  Then Lesli had to go, but we headed down to 3rd street.  We got ice cream and stopped by the bookstore.  Then we drove by my old schools and the house I grew up in.  We went back to Newberg for the evening.  We got to visit with Bryce (who Roo also fell in love with...she loves men!).  I got to watch the season finale of Castle, and Lindsay stopped by again for more chatting/laughing. 
















On Tuesday, we headed to the Oregon Coast.  We ate lunch at Mo's and spent some time playing on the beach.  Cam and Claire LOVED it.  Roo loved the sand, but a big wave came up and got her wet, so she freaked out, poor thing!  "I don't like the beach!"  :(  We bought some fudge and saltwater taffy and checked out the Outlet Mall too.  Fun day!  On our way back, Nate dropped me off at Lesli's house.  She and I went out to dinner and spent several hours just talking and laughing.  It was SO SO fun.  I miss that girl!!!












On Wednesday, we packed up and headed to Vancouver, Washington to see Nikki.  She took us on a hike/picnic with her adorable daughters.  Like with Lesli, I could talk and laugh with Nikki for forever!  I love being with her, and I hate that I only get to see her every few years.  :(  Chloe and Maddie are the cutest, sweetest girls ever.  We went back to their place after for a little bit, and I got to see JR too. 







We headed out to Pendleton, Oregon that night, and then drove home yesterday.  Good to be home and back to routine, but I always have a hard time leaving.  I feel SO at home there.  Hopefully we can go back again next year.

4 comments:

Lindsay Z said...

It was so nice to see you! Awesome post.

DeAnn said...

I miss Oregon so much I want to cry. Glad you had a fun trip!!

Ashley Ziegler said...

It looks BEAUTIFUL there!! And how fun that you got to visit all of your friends :)

If I hadn't seen friends/family in years, I'd be so sad to leave too! That's why I almost don't ever want to leave Utah!!

LilPrecious said...

This post made me homesick!! How awesome that you got to visit - and I totally know what you mean about feeling 15 again when in McMinnville. So strange what that town can do to a person! Your old house looks FANTASTIC and I have some great memories of hanging out there! AMAZING photos - thanks for sharing!! :-)