Thursday, June 14, 2012

100 Miles

Wow, I have run 100 miles!!  I never thought I would ever "be a runner".  This past New Years Eve, I distinctly remember, my dad said to me, "Bec, this is your year.  The Year of The Run."  I had NO intentions of doing much running, and I just laughed off his suggestion (sorry Dad).  Well, Staci came along and changed my mind!  2012 HAS become the Year of The Run for me!  I am so excited that I have fallen so in love with it.  Running has become a very important part of my life now, and it has been an answered prayer in many, many ways.

The biggest way it has helped me is with my self-confidence.  I have tried to avoid writing about this particular topic on my blog, but it is something I really, really struggle with.  Despite the fact that I have a wonderful man who truly thinks I am beautiful, I struggle every single day with thoughts that tear myself down.  I wish I could like what I see in the mirror, but I worry that I never will.  Anyway, I am constantly praying for strength and help with this, and running has truly been a way for me to release that stress and also, it is slowly changing my body in awesome ways.  Unfortunately running can't change my face or hair (I wish!), but I WILL have 'runners legs' soon enough!

I have loved having something to focus and work on.  Races to work towards.  Mile goals to reach.  Literal mountains to tackle!  I have learned that running is about 95% mental, maybe even 99% mental!  Our bodies can pretty much do just about anything we want them to.  It's our minds that hold us back.  I have let my mind (IE: my fears, reservations, excuses) hold me back in a lot of areas of my life for years and years now.  Running has taught me how to blow past all of that and just DO IT.  It's hard to explain, but learning how to quiet that voice in my head that tells me I can't do it during a run, that has helped me quiet that voice in other aspects of my life. 

I love running.  I owe it all to Staci for being my running buddy and mentor.  And I owe it all to Nate for letting me leave a crazy house-full of kids in the mornings.  And I definitely owe it all to my dad, who has been my #1 running cheerleader all my life.

4 comments:

Denis & Sarah said...

Congrats! You are really motivating for me, even though I have yet to get on the running wagon since the color dash.

And BTW, I love your hair and your face!! Although, I also know what it is like when nobody, not even your kind husband, can change those bad thoughts about yourself. But if it helps at all, I think you're beautiful. :)

Nicol said...

I have to agree with Sarah, I think you're beautiful too. Ed can confirm this but I too have very low self-esteem, I always have and no matter how hard I try it's there. I do tend to feel better when I work out. I do wish that I could run with you, but it might not happen right now. :)

The Piquant Storyteller said...

The Lord works in mysterious ways doesn't He? I'm glad all the pieces of the puzzle fit together and you have rediscovered running.

I know you weren't fishing for compliments but I think you're beautiful too. I also think women generally struggle with low self esteem regarding their appearance. It's another way for Satan to tear us down and keep us from realizing our full potential.

For me personally, I have found that self deprecation in blog posts is funny but going overboard on self worship can be really funny too. That's where I found a lot of my self esteem. Pretending I was awesome slowly helped me realize I'm not as bad as I think. Keep running for your mental health!

LilPrecious said...

I think you are beautiful inside and out as well... but also understand the voice in your head that tells you that you just aren't quite good enough! Glad to hear that running is turning that voice off for you (or at least turning down the volume)!

And I know I've mentioned it a few times before... but your dad is AWESOME!!