Friday, February 22, 2013

This is how we Roll

I have a new relationship.  It's the most wonderful, yet most horrible thing ever:

FOAM ROLLING.

Staci introduced me to it the other night.  Basically it's a form of self-deep-tissue massage.  It works the kinks out in your muscles.  It's really good for runners, because the quads, glutes, calves and other muscles tend to get really tight with running and things like squats and stairs.  Foam rolling gets those kinks out and prevents injuries.  If your IT band or quads get too tight, they can pull your gait and your bones out and cause hip and knee pain.

So Foam Rolling.  You relax your muscle onto the foam and then slowly roll your body up.  It feels great when you're done, and I love it's benefits.  But WOW, it is the most painful thing ever.  Blinding pain.  Sometimes I feel nauseous!!  It digs into your muscles so deep.  But I'm committed to doing it daily from now on.

Foam rolling is an easy and inexpensive way to perform self myofascial release.  Although everyone can use a foam roll I highly recommend that all runners, bikers, and weight lifters have one of their own.  To start foam rolling can be quite painful, but you will notice after a week or two how much easier it will become and then eventually you can just maintain good muscle tone once you get the trigger points worked out.  

Learn more HERE.

So here is Miss Roo, demonstrating the calf roll for you.  :)  Start at your ankle and slowly roll it up to your knee.

And here is a random lady rolling her IT band area, which is basically along the outside of your thigh, from your knee to your bum.


Nate has been having some knee pain while running, so he is going to start doing this, too.  The knots in my calves and thighs make me want to CRY, so I can't wait until the worst of this is over!!  Staci told me that the more it hurts, the more it means you NEED it.  So I'm glad I'm helping my muscles out.  It's all worth it so I can RUN!!!

No comments: