Wednesday, April 21, 2010

You're The Only Ten I See

So Nate & I are excited.  About our future.  We sit up at night talking about where we want to go, what kind of home we want to purchase, what kind of job he wants to get.  Lots of things like that.  We both get excited about the same things...which is awesome...no compromising in our relationship!  We both have the same ideas of what we want.  Buying a house is at the very top of our priority list.  We know we won't ever be able to afford anything fancy...

Just to see what's out there, we've done some searching on high school job openings in the subjects he'll be qualified to teach.  There are current job openings in all sorts of cool places....New York, Alaska, Texas, Indiana, Ohio.....but you know what's weird??  One place has been hitting us hard.  And it's not Oregon.  It's so random, it makes us both laugh.  But we can't stop thinking/talking about it.  And the jobs look exciting. 

Clarksville, Tennessee


Are you laughing?  We are.  But we really feel drawn to this place.  It's probably nothing.  We'll probably end up in Magna, Utah for all I know.  But to keep our spirits high and our minds occupied, we like to imagine that we're going to Tennessee.  I've never been there.  We know nothing about it.  We're such DORKS...  But it looks beautiful.  Lots of parks, historic buildings, close to fun places like Nashville and Memphis...  There is a Riverfest every year on the waterfront.  It would be such a fun adventure!  Plus, there are 7 high schools there, so we're hoping there are some openings for the 2011-2012 school year so we can atleast apply.  No harm in applying, right?

But then things got really fun...we started looking at real estate.  Wow...it's awesome.  We'd be able to get into a 2000 sq ft home, 4 bedrooms, gorgeous lawns....for under $200K.  Now we're really hooked! 

(This bad boy is on sale for $188K....can you imagine??  That kind of money will barely get you a condo around here!)



Hard to believe that one year from right now, Nate will be 2 weeks away from his cap & gown.  It pretty much makes me giddy every day.  He's so tired of school.  He can't wait to have his own classroom.  I can't wait to have this house!! :) 

Really, really, really can't wait to see where the Lord wants our family to go.  The sky is the limit for us!

*So if you could live anywhere in the US...where would you live?
*Did your job/school take you to a new place?  Do you like living somewhere different than what you're used to?

19 comments:

Laura Dunford said...

Holy, that house ROCKS. I'd live in Tennessee for a price like that too! I secretly hope you spend at least a year in Utah, so when I'm there I'll have you to come visit. I'd come visit you here too though.. roadtrip!

If I could live anywhere I would live innnnnnnn... I don't know really. I don't have a preference. Not Utah though hah maybe California, maybe Washington. I'm not too picky.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Tennessee! Once upon a time I wanted to live there too for the big house. But it wasn't right. Heath wouldn't be happy in a job with a metaphoric ceiling. So we moved to one of the most expensive cities in the US. San Francisco. I still can't believe we lived in the city for 6 weeks!

I love it here in the Bay Area. It is different from what I am used to but not too different. Just better weather!

If I could live anywhere I would live in Washington. It hasn't worked out yet but we'll see.

Becca Jane said...

Laura, you can totally come visit me... obviously I'd have room for you, haha! But don't worry too much, like I said, our chances of staying put in Utah are really really high.

Tristan, Oregon/Washington are always my top picks too! I can't wait to come visit you when you live up there!

Erin said...

Hey, I am curious about where you found your info. on eating better for your family. Also, what is your oatmeal recipe? I don't like oatmeal much unless it is the cream kind that Quaker makes. Is yours cream? Anyway, thanks! :)

Becca Jane said...

Erin,
Other than the few books I have mentioned, I haven't really come across any other good info. It's just the simple concept of cutting way down on packaged foods and using a lot more fresh produce. Stick to the perimeter of the grocery store! I've been looking up a lot of vegetarian recipes too.
For our oatmeal I do 1 cup oatmeal with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn off the stove (but leave the pot on the hot stove). Let sit for 15 minutes and serve! I don't use cream. I just eat mine with fresh or frozen berries, honey, cinamon and/or vanilla.

The Full Nelson said...

wow that house is great and cheap!! You couldn't get a townhouse for that here. I've looked at house in Utah and they are still much cheaper than here. Maybe you will end up in Tenessee. I would LOVE to go to Memphis and Nashville!

Merilee said...

Magna's been pretty good to some people, you know...

Sometimes you don't always end up where you want to. I still hate living in Utah, but the kids in Magna really need Josh and the Lord knows that. That's why He sent us here.

cbg84 said...

If I could live anywhere in the US I'd say either Virginia or Reno. When I got my job I was based out of the Washington Dulles Airport and though I didn't fall in love with the area right away I love it now and miss it so much. But I've also fallen in love with Reno.
I live in Phoenix now due to my job and I enjoy but it's nothing like Virginia.

Missy said...

It's funny how things work out sometimes. I never thought I'd be living in Omaha, but I've really liked it here...I just wish we were closer to family.
That house is amazing! The housing market is similar here in Omaha...you can get an amazing house for just under 200,000!

The Frasers said...

Oh, the good ole Appalachia! If I could live anywhere in the US it would be this same area. More likely North Carolina, but any place within the area would be great for us. I moved to Utah from this area and...at first I thought I loved Utah...now I can't wait to get out of here! And neither can Andy! We are excited to see where med school will take us, because it could be anywhere from the caribbean to Boston. BUT, it will be East Coast where we will end up spending the rest of our lives. I was to raise my kids there, I want to own homes there. I just can't wait!

I vote Tennessee. It's beautiful. And I promise, you have never been anywhere more down to earth either.

starnes family said...

I think you know how much I love moving and trying a new part of the country. I admire your willingness to change!

We LOVED Colorado and are LOVING Kansas City. Originally from the south. I'd live anywhere!

Anonymous said...

you are at a super fun stage of life! dream big!

Sarah said...

Becca, my sister who lives in Tennessee lives in Clarksville! You could be neighbors!

Becky said...

If you get to move to Tennessee, you will love the adventure!! Tennessee is beautiful!! My mom was born there. When we moved to Florida right after Mark graduated, it was the best thing for us. We both had never been. We packed up our apt. and drove across the country not knowing what it would be like. It was so much fun! You will find good people where ever you go. Awesome house.....I would come visit you no matter where your cute family ends up!! Good find!!! Of course, I would love it if you end up not too far away!!

Any plans next week? Can we come visit??

Becca Jane said...

Sarah...that is so crazy that your sister lives there...of all of the thousands of towns!! Told ya...we feel karma with this place or something!!

Becky...I loved your comment...that's exactly what I want to do: pack up our van and go on an adventure. I have no doubts that we would find wonderful friends and that we'd enjoy a new experience...even if it's just for a few years. Then we can come back to Utah land!!

Sarah said...

By the way Becca, she and her husband love it there. I don't think they ever want to leave

Becca Jane said...

Not to mention, our kids would probably end up with adorable accents. Ya'll.

Rosie said...

I'm so glad I read this post! We won't be driving through clarksville on our giant trip this summer, but we'll be close! Remind me and I'll snap a photo for you :)

Let the party begin... said...

Becca, I'm going to google Clarksville right now because it sure sounds inviting. Kudos to you both for this chapter in your lives and a "HUGE" Congrats to you all for finishing school as a family.