Saturday, October 2, 2010

My Cam

This morning Cam wanted to help Allie put her pants on.  I thought she'd get mad, but she sat there and submissively let her brother get her dressed.  It took a few minutes, but he was determined!


I love how she was sort of like a dead fish the whole time...



A little lop-sided, but ta-da!!  He was so proud of himself.  And doesn't she look thrilled about it!!

So I have been very humbled and so so excited about how my relationship with Cam has improved over the past few weeks.  My prayers are being answered, and our love and friendship has grown so much.  I have felt myself see him as Christ sees him, and that has changed how I talk to him, how I discipline him, how I spend time with him.  He is really growing up SO quickly and turning into such a big kid.  I love picking him up from preschool.  He's so excited to see me and tell me all about what he did.  On Thursday, Nate was around, so I was able to volunteer in Cam's class for an hour.  It was so fun to watch him with his friends and teachers.  He was so well-behaved and helpful and sweet.  He has become so helpful at home too.  He picks up the living room and playroom every evening before bed, he brings his dishes to the sink after he eats, and he is starting to behave a little better during scriptures and prayers at night.  A little better...!!!

Tonight we were outside, and there were lots of moms and kids out there.  Suddenly I saw several moms running towards the hill that leads down to the parking lot, yelling their kids' names.  I realized that a group of kids had gone down the hill and were on their way towards the playground at Cam's school.  Living where we do, it's a constant lesson to teach our kids to stay in our courtyard and not run off.  It's rare that they do, but it's always scary because this complex is huge, and they could end up anywhere or end up in the road.  It was a long summer for me, constantly chasing Roo and keeping her away from the courtyard exits!  When I got to that side of the court, I realized Cam was still there, just hanging out, still in our courtyard.  He was the only kid who hadn't taken off.  I was shocked!!  I asked him why he hadn't gone with all of his friends to the 'red slide'.  He said, "Mom, you told me I can't go down there, so I stayed up here."  I hugged him and told him how absolutely PROUD of him I was.  He just beamed and smiled, and I showered his cute little face with kisses.  It was a sweet little moment that made me realize that he is listening.  It melted my heart and made all of the difficult moments we've had with him feel SO worth it.

Lately Cam & I like to play Memory.  I used to play it with my mom all the time when I was his age.  He's really fun to play with, he gets it and usually beats me!!  This is his crazy "I got a match!" face!!


His innocent faith and love for Jesus has strengthened me lately during some hard days.  Cameron doesn't worry.  He doesn't stress about life.  He knows Jesus loves him and prays with complete trust that his prayers will be answered.  (For example, at dinner, he'll pray, "Please help us to be able to go outside again and play after dinner.")  He just says it so matter-of-factly.  Like since he prayed for it, it HAS to happen.  Today he asked me for a baby brother....and he told me he's excited to move to Tennessee.  Even though that brought my sad feelings back to the surface, it also made me realize that the Lord cares just as much about taking care of sweet Cameron as he does about me.  Those aren't just my desires, they are Cam & Nate's too.  The four of us are a family.  The Lord will protect and guide our whole family, not just us as individuals.  I don't know what the future holds, but I'm grateful to have my Cameron's faith and prayers in my life because I know the Lord is listening to him.  It might just be his rock-solid faith that keeps our family afloat when mom & dad are feeling a little lost.  I'm so grateful for him.  I love him so much, my heart feels like it might explode.  I really, really love my Cam.

3 comments:

Let the party begin... said...

Hello my dear friend. I love how you love your kids. Sometimes we get so caught up in stuff that we forget about the precious moments. How blessed you are to recognize the sacredness of Heavenly father's children. This was something I learned much later in my years. I sometimes wish I could go back but that's not going to happen so I try to make the most of what we have and most days I'm convinced that it's never too late. I hope your sadness doesn't last as you enjoy your beautiful children.

Missy said...

Cute post! Cam is such a sweet boy! I love that last picture of him. He is so cute!

Mellissa said...

Wonderful post! It made me tear!!! Way to go, Cam! You are doing so great!