Saturday, August 10, 2013

Park City Trail Series 15K

Last week, I won a free entry to the Park City Trail Series 15K.  I haven't been doing as much trail running lately, but I knew I couldn't pass up a free race!  So this morning, I woke up bright and early and headed up to Park City, just about 25 minutes from my place.  It's so gorgeous up there.

I was really nervous and knew the course was going to kick my butt, but at the same time, trail running is my absolute favorite.  I love being out in nature, on a dirt path.  It makes me happy, no matter how tough it can be.

15K is 9.3 miles.  I started out nice and slow.  I was able to run the first 5 miles pretty much nonstop.  I met a sweet lady named Denise, who ran at my pace.  We chatted for awhile, which was fun.  She ended up going ahead of me while I stopped at an aid station to get some water.

Mile 5 was ALL uphill.  We did switchbacks up the face of a mountain.  I surprised myself at how much of it I was able to run!  Miles 5 thru 9 were all single-track, which made it hard to pass people.  I ended up getting stuck behind a big group of ladies who kept alternating between walking and running.  Although I don't know that being ahead of them would have caused me to do that mile any faster!

Mile 6 was awesome.  Switchbacks all the way back down the other side of that mountain!  I felt great!

And...then I died.  Miles 7-9 were awful, even though it was fairly flat.  I was just done!  I got through it though!  It was exciting to cross the finish line.  My legs are so tired!  It was an awesome workout though.  I didn't put much pressure on myself today.  I looked at it as a good training run for September's half.  And it was!

I love trail running!


I need to do an official 10K now!  I still haven't done one.

Fish Lake Relay is in 2 weeks.  That will be a fun experience!  And then two weeks after that is my half.  And then I'm taking a long nap.

No comments: