Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday & Book Review

I love Saturday mornings like these.  Still in pajamas (kids are dressed atleast!), I flit back and forth between zoning out online, playing basketball and tools with the kids, breaking up their fighting and scrubbing my kitchen floor.  Kids are playing with toys, drinking apple juice and making phone calls to Grandma.  Wishing Nate were home though.  Luckily he's off at 3 on Saturdays.  It's just a lazy day with no plans until this evening....Wheeler Farm for a picnic with our dear friends, the Harwards.  Can't wait!  Cambrie & Cameron together again.

We headed outside before Roo's naptime.  I love watching my children laugh and play and wear themselves out.  My approach to parenting is to give my children the same outdoor, carefree days that I enjoyed growing up.  I believe children belong outdoors....running and jumping and discovering and digging and swinging and biking and getting muddy and eating popsicles and playing make believe and yelling and chasing squirrels and chasing birds and laughing.  That's what I did.  And that's what Cam & Roo do.





***
I'm tired today.  Why?  Because I devoured another Khaled Housseini book, "The Kite Runner" in a matter of days again.  No sleep!  I read his other novel, "A Thousand Splended Suns" a few weeks ago, as you may remember.  It took me a few days to recover from the mental and emotional turmoil it put me through.  I made myself read a few other 'light' books before I picked up The Kite Runner, because I knew it would be the same way.  I was right.

A gripping tale of two young boys and their fathers.  Family relationships, trust, loyalty, secrets, lies, violence, heartbreak, power, redemption and hope.  It's all in there.  It was a more difficult read for me than 'Suns' was because of some of the content, but I thought it ended better.  In fact, the last few pages of "The Kite Runner" turned out to be one of the best endings to a story I've ever read.

I wish I was brave enough to start writing more.  It's been a lifelong dream of mine to write a novel.  Nate has been encouraging me for nearly 6 years now.  I keep waiting around for a good idea.  I should just start writing and see how it goes.

4 comments:

starnes family said...

I have both on my shelf and am anxious to read them! Have heard nothing but fantastic things. Think I've told you before, but I had just finished Angela's Ashes when I was about to read The Kite Runner and someone told me it would be too much......Ashes is extremely depressing......but so good.

I'm enjoying my current.....Mrs. Kimble....interesting!

Merilee said...

Hi arn. I lost my phone. I miss you. This is tragic.

Sarah said...

The Kite Runner was too much for me. But it's awesome that you read actual books. That interest YOU, not your kids! I can't remember the last time I read something besides a kids' book, parenting book or church book - mostly before kids, I think! When do you do most of your reading? Always when you should be sleeping? :)

Becca Jane said...

I read a lot during Allie's naptime...I take Cam outside to play, and I just sit on a blanket. My kids also go to bed by 7 every night, so I have a good few hours there too. I don't read that much every day...just depends on how 'into' the current book I am!!

I can see how Kite Runner was too much for you....I almost had to stop reading it. But I pushed on and was SO glad because it was a beautiful story...it came full circle and taught amazing lessons about forgiveness and redemption, I think.