Tonight I got to enjoy some MUCH-needed alone time at my favorite place, The King's English Bookshop! There was a book-signing with author, Ruta Sepetys. She wrote "Between Shades of Gray", which I read a few months ago and loved. I am excited to have another personally-signed favorite to add to my collection. Wow, meeting two wonderful authors within a few weeks, very cool!!
It is so fun to hear from the author, especially when I love a book's characters so much. I love hearing where the stories and characters came from and what the author was thinking. This particular story is a historical novel about what a Lithuanian family went through during the war. Mrs. Sepetys found out about her grandpa's past and decided to form a novel around those events so that we can all learn and become aware of what the Soviets put those people through. It's an important part of history that not very many people are aware of. She had so much passion as she spoke, and it made me appreciate the story even more. She talked about her research, all of her travelling and interviews. So much work goes into writing, and I love supporting authors! To gain some perspective, she spent time locked in an actual boxcar that was used to transport prisoners, and she also spent 24 hours in an actual prison. Some Germans were doing a documentary film about the prisons, and she paid to be on it. She was treated JUST like a prisoner, including being beaten and worked. It was funny to hear her talk about it now, because she can look back on it and laugh, but at the same time, I always feel a reverence and dose of humility when I think about and learn more about the REALITY of what my brothers and sisters on this earth have experienced. I have been reading a lot of historical novels and memoirs lately, and they have all hit me pretty hard. I'm anxious to read 'Between Shades of Gray' again sometime with some new perspective from the author!
Anyway, afterwards there was a Q&A session. I asked her if she has plans to write more (this was her first novel), and she said she has a book coming out next February, and she is also starting to write another historical novel. It's going to be amazing, she told us about it, and I cannot wait to read it!! Too bad I probably have to wait at least a year! love being a bookworm! I got my new book signed and was able to visit with her for a second and thank her for a wonderful novel.
This video is a little long, but worth it, I think! Brought me to tears...
1 comment:
Books are AWESOME!! So glad you got the chance to go to another book signing! I have a book and a half I want to read before the baby arrives... somehow I don't think I'm going to make it!! :-)
Post a Comment