This week was fantastic! I felt good and ran hard.
On Monday morning, Ashley and I ran 6 miles down Emigration. She helped me push my pace just a little, and we finished it in just under an hour. Nothing special about Wed/Thurs runs. I made sure to run some hills, though. My long run this morning was a blast. Monnica and Katheryn from RA drove all the way up from Orem and West Jordan to run Emigration with Ashley and me. So sweet! Have I mentioned that RA members ROCK? Monnica and Ashley ended up running a little bit ahead of me and Katheryn, but that worked out great. We had a nice visit. I love meeting new friends! We kept running in the 10:00 range, but I wanted to hold back and stay around 11:00. My long runs needs to stay SLOW.
The before picture. Our view from the top of the canyon was amazing. I love love LOVE these mountains!
8 miles done!
I had another physical therapy appointment last Tuesday. It went SO well! I wanted to give Derek a big hug for being so great! But I didn't. He had me bike for 5 minutes to warm up. Then I ran for 5 minutes on the treadmill. I NEVER run on treadmills, and I forgot how much I dislike them! I could barely stand to be on it for 5 measly minutes! Anyway, he said my form looked good, and there isn't anything I need to change about the way I run. GOOD news!
I asked him about a possible stress fracture, and he ruled that out immediately. Awesome! He is still completely convinced that my hips are just weak and tight. So he did some deep tissue massage right into the painful part (the far right side) of my hip. That hurt, but it was a good hurt. Then he did some stretches that hurt worse. He said my right hip did feel a lot tighter than my left. He gave me one more exercise to add to my daily routine, and he said he'd see me in another week. He said if I don't start feeling a difference or improvement in another week, then he'll get another PT in to look at me and try another route. But he feels confident that we are on the right path. Like I said, I could hug him! I dutifully did my exercises all week, and I'm starting to feel better! LESS pain than I've felt in months!
Bonus: My bum is going to get TONED! I do single-leg squats, bridges, side leg lifts and this exercise where I jump onto one foot and hold it for 3 seconds without letting my hips or knees move. My rear end is always sore when I'm done.
I feel so grateful to be getting some real help. I have been praying for help with my hip, and I feel that this is an answer to those months of prayers. I will let you know how my 3rd appointment goes on Tuesday!
Next week is a "rest week" where I decrease the mileage to let my body rest and get ready for the week after. The plan I'm using does that every 3rd week. I'm not going to complain!
I feel like I want and need to write about my mental state each week. Because training for and running a marathon is going to be almost as much of a mental feat as a physical one. Um...on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm about a 5. Freaked out and excited at the same time. I have so much work ahead of me, and it's already time to head into week THREE! Eighteen weeks sounds like a long time, but it's really not. It's going to be here before I know it.
But I WANT this. I want this so badly. I'm refusing to let my fear keep me from my dream.
1 comment:
I'm loving these updates! It motivates me to continue with my chosen path in the exercise world, lol! It has also helped Darren to get back into his running. Ask your PT about some yoga stretches for your hip flexors that you can do at home. It is painful at first but when they start to loosen up, your range of motion will be even better. You rock my friend, keep doing what you're doing!
Post a Comment